(Begins Nov 5 - Ends Nov 12)
Read Ender's Game, Chapters 5 and 6, and respond to these questions:
1) What kinds of strategies does Ender learn from watching the older boys play computer games in the game room? What are some of the weaknesses that the older boys demonstrate?
2) Do computer games train people to think like computers?
3) Throughout the book, Ender encounters a series of systems put in place by the adults. In chapter 5, he learns how to “play” at least one of these systems. Which system does he master, and to what benefit?
There are two major games (game-like scenarios) explored in this chapter. One takes place in the battle room, and one takes place during Ender’s “Free Play” time.
1) What is different about the nature of reality in the battleroom? What issues arise due to these differences? What possibilities also arise? Have you ever faced these issues in computer/console game? How might we push these issues and possibilities in a new direction?
2) What kind of game is “Free Play”? What do you think of Ender’s responses to the guessing game?